I met Derek and Dennis (D & D Systems) last weekend, and they offered
me an updated Linux CD designed for use with the Q60. I had already
installed the earlier (and now definitely obsolete) Linux on my Q40, so
this was an exciting development. It is called ShoeString Linux, and is
based as before on the Red Hat distribution.

The new installation proceeded (at its own pace!) with a few
boot-floppy adjustments from Derek. He reminded me that I may have to
swap the mouse plug on the IO board to restore mouse services - or
reconfigure Linux. We swapped them and there was a new Linux with
updated kernel, etc. The SmSQ OS works as before, but presumably the
modem will need to be moved to ser2.

So far I have only had a quick play with the 'IceWM' window manager,
which looks very attractive and usable, and I need to do a LinuxConf
session to set up the mail etc. There is also some documentation to
read - so far I have only had a quick peek with Thierry's CD-eze in
SmSQ.

I understand from D & D that this is the first attempt to install this
very worth-while upgrade on a Q40, so we were delighted it was so easy.

Many thanks to Richard Zidlicky and Claus Graf for their dedication and
M68k skills.

Yippee from Alex Wells.