- if another copy of a file exists in the trashcan, rename the copy being moved there (IE: _1, _2, _3). This doesn't require a date thing but, using the date code on the file would be about the same thing).

Also, if you don't mind, I would like to 'borrow' your trashcan concept for QDT. I have this thing about standards - love them. Any objections?

Jim

On Sunday, January 19, 2003, at 10:06 AM, Dilwyn Jones wrote:

Far too complex for what is a fairly simple compiled basic piece of
code as outlined. No chance whatsoever of this being done - Q-Trans
has no date handling routines or file stats facilities anyway, plus
the simple minded approach means the Q-Trash (or whatever you call it)
can be manipulated by any file handler.

Dilwyn
----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, January 19, 2003 3:52 PM
Subject: Re: [ql-users] Q-Trans Trash can

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I've added a Trash-can facility to Q-Trans and would like some
feedback on how it should work. Basically, it's a short one
character
length named folder on a specified drive (e.g. WIN1_*_) into which
files are moved rather than being deleted as such, so that a
degree of
restoration of 'deleted' files is possible.

Note: it's not the same trashcan as Phil Borman implemented in
later
Qubides.

Phew - there were some terrible problems with that Trashcan, which
made me
abandon it in the end!!

The feedback I'd like is on the name convention for files in the
trashcan. Since it's basically a very primitive facility,
equivalent
to:

REMark DELETE drive$&directory$&filename$
DELETE trashcan$&filename$
COPY drive$&directory$&filename$ TO trash$&filename$

Option 1 would be just as above, the "pure" filename is all you
see in
the trashcan, so it can be restored to anywhere and you don't see
where it came from.

Option 2 would copy the original path name and filename into the
trashcan, so that you can see where the file came from and where
it
would be restored to, the snag being name lengths allowed by the
QL
filing systems. The longest allowable QL path length is 41
characters
(36 character filename plus drive name length), so it would mean
long
names being truncated. Consider when you have a long path name
such as
WIN1_work_xchangefiles_docs_ (28 characters) and a filename like
workfile_doc (12 characters) this comes to 40 characters in all,
but
copy it to a trashcan folder named win1_*_ and you'd get
win1_*_win1_work_xchangefiles_docs_workfile_doc (47 characters in
all)
which would be truncated to
win1_*_win1_work_xchangefiles_docs_workfi
Option 3 would be similar to option 2 but only the directory name
(not
the drive name) is used, reducing the risk of truncated filenames.

So while option 2 or 3 allows you to see where the file came from,
they have a greater risk of truncated filenames. Option 1 doesn't
store info int he filename about where the file came from,  but
doesn't have such a risk of truncated filenames.

Option 4 would be to make the program configurable to allow any of
the
options, equivalent to this in BASIC in the way it would work:

<<Cut>>

Dilwyn, there seems to be a much better option.  The best trashcan
would be
able to store various versions of the same file, sorted by original
date
order, then you could choose which one to restore.

I would suggest that either you need an index file and create your
own
shortened filenames to store these in the directory, or possibly
easier, add
some sort of header to each file to identify the details.

You should store:
1) original directory path
2) original file name
3) date file was created
4) date file was deleted
5) Expiry date (? Suggestion - automatically clear all files in the
trashcan
after 60 days or so - user defined)

--
Rich Mellor