P Witte wrote:

That was the significance of

        2^n  size   no.  s     remarks
        --- ----- ----- --- ---------------
         x:   xxx   xxx  xx Primer run
 ;)

A first time run to ensure that any caching that would be done by the first run was done before the first run so that all further runs had a similar same state machine?

When testing out the various versions of grep (grep, egrep, fgrep) on Unix, I ran the timings at least twice - first to ensure that the command and data were in memory & cached and ignored that time, and then a second (or more) time(s) for the actual timing. Including the first run would make the comparison skewed as the data for second program would be cached after testing first program, plus I preferred to do several timings and take the mean (the first timing would be larger due to the program not being cached). [If you're interested, I found egrep to be the fasted for the grepping I do.]