----- Original Message -----
From: "Dilwyn Jones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Re: [ql-users] What printers do people use with their QL??

> Is there a rule of thumb that we should look for in leaflets or web
> pages to help decide that a printer works by control codes rather than
> pure GDI printers, e.g. it offers DOS or HP emulation? What about Mac
> printers, are they GDI-only, for example? (postscript?)

I suspect there is no rule of thumb if my experience of laser printers is
anything to go by. My laser was advertised as Mac and Linux compatible and
with HP emulation, but in fact is GDI only. When I bought it I knew more
about printers than the salesman who sold it me, so it mwas no use asking
his advice. I took the risk because it was 1) cheap and 2) I needed a good
quality printer for PC use. I suspect a lot of lasers are a lot cheaper than
they used to be simply because they are going the way of inkjets and are GDI
only. In fact if you look at it from the manufacturer's point of view this
is sensible and reasonable. A couple of thousand QL-ers worldwide who will
on average buy a printer once every five years is not exactly a thriving
market.

BTW to your list of old printers that are QL compatible you can add the
Canon BJ-200ex.

Geoff Wicks

http://members.lycos.co.uk/geoffwicks/justwords.htm

              • ... Marcel Kilgus