On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 18:58:03 +0200, Wolfgang Lenerz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Wolfgang,
<Snipped the whole previous message>
As answering to individual points makes a little difficult to concentrate my whole argument I will write a response with two examples on why the current license can in effect hamper developments and why it's extremely confusing in itself. I will also add why I believe that Internet distributions is imperative in my (very humble) opinion

Example 1.

Case 1. Lets assume that IOSS is modified and drivers from other OSes are capable to be ported. Lets also assume that these are linux drivers and by default Free Software. Even if possible to integrate a Linux driver to SMSQ/E we cannot do so as its license clashes with the SMSQ/E license (as you mentioned yourself in Marcel's argument of distribution under two separate licenses). That in itself closes the door to systems software from other platforms. (Doesn't affect applications software of course)
Case 2. Lets take QLwIP that Peter wrote (and works as we can see from his emails). If we want to give SMSQ/E TCP functionality by somehow integrating QLwIP into SMSQ/E then we again clash with its license (QLwIP is a port of A. Dunkels wIP that is Free Software). It is illegal to do so therefore on the regular version of SMSQ/E.

The only way that therefore you could integrate something like that with the OS would be in the form of patches, something that was the cause of a big brawl in this list when it came to that "Software Pirates in our midst" thread if you recall. Here therefore comes Example 2 (Hypothetical situation that may or may not bore resemblence to actual persons and events)

Example 2.
Suppose UU (TT +1 ;-) at one point in time gives permission to Marcel Graf and Peter Kilgus to sell a specific version of SDQOS. (SuperDuperQL Operating System). Marcel goes and makes a machine called Futura and Peter an emulator called SDQE (SuperDuperQLEmulator). They both get no permission to modify the source (the OS at that point is proprietary software) and they carry on doing so. At one point UU decides to open up the sources more or less but makes a license like the SMSQ/E current one. Neither Marcel or Peter acquire the sources but want to make their creation compatible. Peter patches the emulator to behave differently and Marcel creates a patch for the software (again he doesn't base his work on the sources and neither does Peter). The result is a compatible SDQOS (at least for the user) with the newest changed license version. Are they breaking the law or violating the license? Marcel even goes on and allows his agents (C & C systems) to sell the early version of the OS patched just as he did before. Doesn't the "agency" legal principle make his agents legal as well (if he was legal in the first place)?

You can see how confusing the status can be just by that.

Thirdly. here is why I think that internet distribution is necessary.

Point 1. Linux (the DEFINITION of Free Software) would not be possible without the Internet
Point 2. No OTHER Free Software, nor the GNU project would be possible without the Internet
Point 3. Internet distribution of the sources can lure MC68K hobbyists to the platform whereas Wolfgang Lenerz known and respected thoughout the QL world but most probably an unknown entity to say an Atari ST user or a simple coldfire board manufacturer/hobbyist will not (Unless of course he changes his name to Linus Torvalds ;-) hehe just a joke here)
Point 4. Survival of a platform is based on adoption. If you throw a really Free SMSQ/E on say Savannah or SourceForge you will get at least 10 or 20 people to have a look-see. If you win half (sic!) of them you gained a potential whole new tree of QL users (and developers).
Point 5. A publicly available CVS server gives any project the "air" of maintenance. A snail-mail only distribution does not (That of course applies to a stagnant webpage with a couple of files to download but still the exposure is greater). This "air" is attractive to many people.

There are many other reasons but this is the most important I think

Phoebus
--
Visit the QL-FAQ at: <http://www.dokos-gr.net/ql/faq/> (Still uploading stuff!)
Visit the uQLX-win32 homepage at: <http://www.dokos-gr.net/ql/uqlx.html>