----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subject: [ql-users] Eurocheques

> Just a query regarding Eurocheques. Mostly for the traders this one, but
> any advice welcome...

<Snip>

> The cheque was for 48 pounds sterling - and nearly half of this would have
> gone on charges if I had cashed it.
>
> Is this correct?  How on earth are eurocheques therefore usable at all,
> unless dealing in huge amounts? Am I doing something wrong?

Hi Darren,

Welcome to the world of currency transfers inside the EU. I suspect your
experience is about normal.

When I wanted to pay Jochen my year's QL Today advertising bill, my bank's
minimum charge was £14, and that was without any guarantee that Jochen's
bank wouldn't also charge him. In the end I sent Jochen a sterling cheque
for much more than the advertising bill in the hope that was cheaper for us
both. This has now been cleared at my end without any further charges, and
so far I have heard nothing further from Jochen so I assume he was not out
of pocket.

For obvious reasons I usually settle with Jochen in cash, but this year it
was not possible.

Remember European Commissioner Frits Bolkestein in your prayers. He has been
working on this problem for some time!

Best Wishes,
Geoff Wicks.

  • ... Darren . Branagh