My son, 16, used to use the family PC, Athlon 1,8 GHz + 256 MB of memory. It was not fast enough for his taste, and he wanted to have his own environment so he got a Pentium 3GHz PC + 1 GB of memory (not from me, from his mother, I wasn't aware of their plans...)

We share the ADSL line. He can download at more than 100 kB/sec.

Ok that is all well, even if very much bloated.

But my PC, which is situated near the phone line has the modem. Then those 100 kB/sec are directly forwarded to his PC through an ethernet link.

My PC is so much under load because of this very basic application that it reacts worse than my QL in 1984: it was a pain to type this text. Thanks to the QL I learned to type with 10 fingers without looking at the keyboard and I now, 20 years later, I still must be careful not to type too fast in order not to lose characters !

A machine capable several thousand MIPS is able to do it, from the electronics point that is.

It this bloody XP that is is responsible of this behavior.

OTOH it was easily installed. No need to fiddle with drivers etc.. that is why I won't install Linux on my PC. And I am not sure that it would be better anywhay.

Thanks to Marcel QPC works great everywhere. Thank you Marcel.

Arnould

  • ... Arnould Nazarian
      • ... Tony Firshman
      • ... Arnould Nazarian