You'll see the same problem when you try to use Persistent Perl
#!/usr/bin/perperl (aka speedycgi) instead of #!/usr/bin/perl or
#!/usr/bin/suidperl (which has been discussed earlier as not-needed
anyways).

The problem is perperl cannot read in the STDOUT of qmail-smtpd (since
the STDOUT of qmail-smtpd should be the STDIN for Q-S, but the STDIN for
Q-S is the actual email headers and body, not the envelope)...  Yes a
little confusing.

>From the man page...
       qmail-queue reads a mail message from descriptor 0.  It then
reads envelope information from descriptor 1.
       It places the message into the outgoing queue for future delivery
by qmail-send.

So, maybe if you are running with #!/usr/bin/suidperl, your suidperl
cannot read fd 1 to pull the envelope information correctly.   Try
switching to #!/usr/bin/perl which should invoke suidperl if your
qmail-scanner-queue.pl is setuid properly.

But I've never heard of this issue on RH8.0.

Dallas