Listmembers:

This week I once again ran into a situation where my qmail-scanner
configuration, in spite of having both ClamAV and Sophos Sweep, didn't
manage to remove a couple of virus-infected mails.

In all cases, the situation was similar: a mail containing a virus was
sent by some infected PC using an address from one of my domains as
the apparent sender to a non-existant of over-quota mailbox. The
receiving mailserver composes a bounce message and includes the
complete original message as plain text (including headers and
MIME-parts) to the delivery failure message.

Apparently, because the included original message isn't MIME-attached,
the embedded viruses aren't getting decoded and are thus not detected.

However, when I fetch these mails from my mailbox, my desktop realtime
scanner (Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 8) manages to correctly
identify the virus in the messagebody.

While the chances of getting infected this way are quite remote
because it would require one to first save the appropriate part of the
delivery failure message as a message and then import it back into a
MUA or open it with a mime-decoder; I still feel that these should be
caught.

The question is: up whose tree should I be barking? Should I bark at
ClamAV and Sophos for not detecting viruses in this type of mails or
should I bark at the MIME decoder used by qmail-scanner, or yet
someone else?

--
Greetings,
Maurice