Forgive me for being a beginner ..

I installed qmail about 2 months ago to use as an SMTP server for home ...and have tried to get pop working on it ..

I am using Maildir ... i origionally installed qmail using mailbox ... and switched to maildir following lifewithqmail.org's instructions ...

Everything seems to be working right up until it auth's the user ... for some reason it won't auth .. i have created several test users ..and the same failure resuts from all of them ....i get the error
"Your password was rejected " .... on all accounts ...

Can anyone help  ?
Chad Cransotn