Hi,

I got qmail to work (thanks Peter) and installed qmail-pop3d with a single
UID according to Paul Gregg's instructions. However I must have made a dumb
mistake along the way (probably in inetd.conf) :

when trying to retrieve mail I get a
-ERR this user has no $HOME/Maildir

On the local machine :
telnet 192.168.1.1 110
<...>
-ERR this user has no $HOME/Maildir

telnet 127.0.0.1 110
<...>
-ERR this user has no $HOME/Maildir

HOWEVER if I run :
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup host.domain /bin/checkpoppasswd
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir
and then
telnet 192.168.1.1 110
the user is authorized and everything works fine !!!

Here is my inetd.conf line :
pop3 stream tcp nowait root /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup host.domain
/bin/checkpoppasswd /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir

The user does have a Maildir :
users/assign:
=domain-user:popuser:511:511:/var/qmail/pop/popboxes/domain/user/:::
.

There is a .qmail file and a Maildir directory both owned by the single UID
popuser

Thanks for your help

In KPMG's opinion, non-encrypted communication via the Internet is not to be
considered secure.
For that reason, it is KPMG's policy that uninvited use of the Internet concerning
exchange of confidential information with our clients must not take place.  When
exchanging information, the client is held liable.

This e-mail may contain confidential information and is intended solely for the
addressee, and any disclosure of this information is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful.  If you have received this e-mail by mistake, please notify us immediately
and delete this mail.