Install fail2ban:

wget
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fail2ban/files/fail2ban-stable/fail2ban-0.8.
3/fail2ban-0.8.3.tar.bz2/download

tar -xjvf fail2ban-0.8.3.tar.bz2

cd fail2ban-0.8.3

python setup.py install

vi /etc/fail2ban/jail.conf

Enable only the sections you need and do them one at a time.  I have enabled
SSH, ProFTP, Qmail* and Vpopmail* (* add sections as described below)

Set your local networks and any other networks you consider 'safe'.  You
certainly don't want to block your own clients!

## example::

ignoreip = 127.0.0.1 192.245.12.0/24 207.182.32.0/19 204.27.149.0/24

Also change bantime, findtime, maxretry time as it suits you.

If bantime = -1 is the same as never expire the IP ban.

* additional sections for jail.conf

[vpopmail]

enabled = true

port = pop3

filter = vpopmail

action = iptables[name=pop3, port=pop3, protocol=tcp]
sendmailwhois[name=pop3,dest=y...@email.domain, sender=em...@adr]

logpath = /var/log/maillog

maxretry = 3

bantime = -1

[qmail-iptables]

enabled = true

filter = qmail

action = iptables[name=QMAIL, port=smtp, protocol=tcp]

      sendmail-whois[name=QMAIL, dest=y...@email.domain]

logpath = /var/log/maillog

maxretry = 3

bantime = -1

Save and close the jail.conf file.

vi /etc/fail2ban/filter.d/vpopmail.conf (create new file)

Paste this into the file:

# Fail2Ban configuration file

#