ole.johan...@cryonix.no wrote:
Hello list,

How do i prevent local valid emailadresses sending spam to itself. Common
spam technique..

##

Example:

08-27 05:54:35 CHKUSER accepted sender: from <valid.em...@account.no::>
remote <[113.22.203.172]:unknown:113.22.203.172> rcpt <> : sender accepted
08-27 05:54:35 CHKUSER accepted rcpt: from <valid.em...@account.no::>
remote <[113.22.203.172]:unknown:113.22.203.172> rcpt
<valid.em...@account.no> : found existing recipient
08-27 05:54:35 policy_check: local valid.em...@account.no -> local
valid.em...@account.no (UNAUTHENTICATED SENDER)
08-27 05:54:35 policy_check: policy allows transmission
08-27 05:54:35 spamdyke[28493]: ALLOWED from: valid.em...@account.no to:
valid.em...@account.no origin_ip: 113.22.203.172 origin_rdns: (unknown)
auth: (unknown) encryption: (none)
08-27 05:54:39 simscan:[28494]:CLEAN (7.90/12.00):3.1911s:***SPAM*** Hi
recipient, be our guest. 70% off for you.. on is
the:113.22.203.172:valid.em...@account.no:valid.em...@account.no

Listed IP above is one of many who actual sends alot spam.
##

I think i have asked about it earlier but i can not find the thread and
have forgotten how to do it.

Thanks in advance for some guides.

Ole J

Use spamdyke, and blacklist your local domain(s). This is counter intuitive, but works great. I've explained this in other posts on the list, so you should find a little more about it by searching the archives.

Note, all of your domains's submissions must be authenticated for this to work. If you have some web apps (for instance) that submit w/out authenticating (you have them approved for relay in tcp.smtp) then you can't use this method. My suggestion in this case is to modify the web app to authenticate.

Note too, that webmail should be configured to authenticate, in which case you don't need the 127.: line in tcp.smtp. This is a trivial change in /etc/squirrelmail/local_config.php:
$smtpServerAddress  = 'localhost';
$smtpPort           = 587;
$smtp_auth_mech     = 'login';
I expect that this change will be in the stock squirrelmail-toaster package at some point.

It'd be nice if this were documented on the wiki. Anyone care to do a little updating there?