I'm certainly no fan of Outlook... but there is no bug causing the Drafts, Sent & Trash folders not to show -- they're simply not there to begin with. Allow me to explain:

_*When you create a new user via *~vpopmail/bin/vadduser*, ONLY the INBOX maildir is created... no trash, no sent, no drafts.*_ - If you create the new user via Qmail Admin, you're using the vadduser command -- albeit through a GUI.

As others have reported, connecting to the new account with Squirrelmail /will /CREATE these extra folders -- but that appears to be a SquirrelMail thing, not a vpopmail or Qmail thing. - In other words, SquirrelMail is configured to access those maildirs, and in their absence, SquirrelMail simply creates them for you.

Now the first thing you might ask might be: How would you test this? Well:
1) Create user using ~vpopmail/bin/vadduser (call it /testuser/@/testdomain/./tld /-- and we'll assume /testdomain/./tld /already exists)
 2) ls -al ~vpopmail/domains//testdomain/./tld///testuser//Maildir
 3) Note the presence of cur, new, & tmp (the standard maildir folders)
 3b) Note the ABSENCE of /ANY /other folders... _/ANY/_
3c) (optional) Cease and desist blaming client programs for not showing folders that do not exist to begin with...

But to continue...
4) Connect & login via Squirrelmail (username: /testuser/@/testdomain/./tld /password: whatever you set in step 1 above)
 5) ls -al ~vpopmail/domains//testdomain/./tld///testuser//Maildir
6) Note the continued presence of cur, new, & tmp (the maildir folders for INBOX are still there) 6b) Note the _ADDED _presence of courier IMAP control & status files and 3 new Maildir folders (.Drafts, .Sent, & .Trash) 6c) (optional) Draft a message to the makers of SquirrelMail thanking them for their thoughtfulness...

So, as demonstrated above, Outlook (and Thunderbird) are not ignoring anything at all -- those "special" folders just aren't there to begin with -- and if you ask me, it's not a bug.... BECAUSE: 1 - Many users (agreed - /_dumb _/users, but _many _users none the less) still use POP -- in which case, only the INBOX matters (those other folders will exist solely on the client system, not the server) 2 - You do not specify the connection type (POP vs. IMAP) when you create the user... it's just not an option 3 - When you connect with a server-based IMAP client (SquirrelMail) some of the basic "overhead" maildirs are created for you... because the config is tested, and because it can... 4 - When you connect with a client-based IMAP client (Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.) no such auto-creation occurs -- after all, it may well be that the absence of the folders is due to a minor config error (like not using the correct ROOT folder designation)... so its not surprising that you're left to your own devices on those "client-based" access methods.

I hope this explains the NORMAL behavior of Qmail (and QMT/QTP) user mailbox creation.

HOWEVER: If you want your mailboxes to ALWAYS have the maildir folders of Drafts, Sent, & Trash, just write a script to do it! Here's one way how:

=== BEGIN BASH COMMANDS ===
mv ~vpopmail/bin/vadduser ~vpopmail/bin/vaddpopuser
cat > ~vpopmail/bin/vadduser << -END
#! /bin/bash
~vpopmail/bin/vaddpopuser \$*
if [ \$? -eq 0 ] ; then
  # find argument with username@domain pattern
  MUSER=
  DOMAIN=
  while [ "\$#" -gt 0 ] ; do
    if echo \$1 | grep "@" > /dev/null 2>&1 ; then
      MUSER="\`echo \$1 | sed s/@.*//\`"
      DOMAIN="\`echo \$1 | sed s/.*@//\`"
    fi
    shift 1
  done
  # If user found, modify for IMAP use
  if [ ! -z "\$MUSER" ] ; then
/usr/bin/maildirmake -f Drafts ~vpopmail/domains/\$DOMAIN/\$MUSER/Maildir/ /usr/bin/maildirmake -f Sent ~vpopmail/domains/\$DOMAIN/\$MUSER/Maildir/ /usr/bin/maildirmake -f Trash ~vpopmail/domains/\$DOMAIN/\$MUSER/Maildir/
    chown -R vpopmail:vchkpw ~vpopmail/domains/\$DOMAIN/\$MUSER/Maildir/
  fi
# If user NOT found, don't worry -- vaddpopuser probably complained for us
fi
-END
chown vpopmail:vchkpw ~vpopmail/bin/vadduser
chmod 751 ~vpopmail/bin/vadduser
=== END BASH COMMANDS ===
NOTE: The above is formatted so you can cut & paste the entire thing into a BASH prompt...

Now, whenever you call vadduser (GIU or CLI), you'll get your script & you'll get your extra maildirs automatically (without having to use SquirrelMail).

I believe one should never say something is crap without proposing a solution -- so I wrote the above (and tested it on my CentOS 5 system)... and I hope I have satisfied that requirement satisfactorily... The script is a little "brute-force", but it works (at least I think it does!)

Good night all!

Dan
IT4SOHO

PS: One last nod to Outlook users... Once you connect to an IMAP Mailbox in Outlook, it won't automatically add any new folders... you have to re-query and manually add them... thus, if you connect to a new INBOX (with no other folders) first, then connect with SquirrelMail, Outlook won't subsequently see the SquirrelMail created folders unless you make it look for them... but if you connect via SquirrelMail (or use the script above) BEFORE you connect with Outlook_for the first time,_ you'll see all the folders immediately.

Again, however, this is the expected behavior and is therefore not a bug.