Hi Philip,
    I'm 56, (C5/6 for 40 yrs) and broke my femur --just above the knee-- in
a car accident 2 yrs ago.  Even with my advanced osteoporosis it healed
well with no bracing needed.  I also had a burst fracture at L4 that was a
whole different story.  We thought my leg was causing autonomic dysreflexia
(AD) but I insisted it wasn't because the AD changed depending on the
position of my back.  I pressed my docs enough for back x-rays that once a
broken vertebra was found (1.5 months after the accident) they decided to
do a full spine CT.  Vertebrae were too fragile for plates & screws so I
had a cement injected into the cracks to stabilize the vertebra and it
helped A LOT.  (Did this on a sacral vertebra in '08 after a  bad transfer
caused a nerve pinch.)  I still had slight AD & sweating after the lumbar
procedure so I'm still getting epidural cortisone & lidocaine injections at
a spine clinic every 3 months to control the remaining AD symptoms.

Good luck & best wishes,
--Tod