At 20:23 -0500 on 27/12/02, Dan Knight wrote:

>Dan Palka writes:
>
>>Well I'll tell you all it was NOT worth the incredible price I paid for all
>>of this stuff.
>>
>>I did not buy it on ebay because I hate ebay.  Instead I bought them from a
>>reseller.  This QuadDoubler with warrantee in a Centris 650 board and 128
>>megs of RAM cost me about $200.  And the damn thing doesnt even work in the
>>Q800.
>
>The Sonnet QuadDoubler was a very clever hack with one significant
>drawback: It had to be specifically designed for a single computer. There
>was a 40/80 MHz model for the Centris 610, a 50/100 for the Quadra 610,
>and a different 50/100 for the Centris 650. Other ones for the Quadra
>610, 660av, 700, and 900 have been discontinued.

There isn't any good reason that a model designed for a 25 MHz Mac can't run in
*any* 25 MHz Mac, except for physical fit reasons (like why the cache modules
for the 700 won't work in a 605 with LC PDS cards installed), unless Sonnet
specifically designed them *not* to work...

Thus the one that works in the C650 ought to work in the 610s, 660avs, 700, and
900, but nothing is ever gonna work in the 800 and 950.
--

the pickle

FAQ <http://macfaq.org/index.shtml>