At 15:31 -0400 08/11/2005, Quadlist wrote:

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 23:29:04 -0300
Subject: [q] Performa 630CD Memory Upgrade
From: "Paulo Vaz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

  I buy a Performa 630CD a few days ago and I read at Apple site that can=
 support only 32 MB SIMM RAM.

  Today, I read in other site (http://mail.maclaunch.com/Redirect/www.wel=
ovemacs.com/apple-memory-performa-performa-630.html) that is possible to =
upgrade him to 128 Mb.

  But in this site 64 MB or 256 MB upgrade is not mentioned... Do you kno=
w if is possible put other size SIMM RAM in this machine?

  Any other 128 MB SIMM Memory -6 72 pins will work, or must be exactly t=
his model/manufacturer?

Some work, some don't. I'm sure it has to do with the organization of the SIMM, e.g. Single Bank vs. Double Bank. However, I do not know which organization is required to work in the 630.

In the Q605, one needs Single Bank 64 MB SIMMs but that varies from model to model.

If some 128MB SIMMs work, then some 64 MB SIMMs should work too. The trick is finding the ones that do work.

You won't hurt anything (except your pocketbook) by trying SIMMs that don't work. They'll just show up as 1/2 or even 1/4 capacity.

Jeff Walther