Thanks, I still have to try steps 2, 3 and gulp... 5 :-(

--M

Ken wrote:

My Reply follows quote. On 03/12/2005 08:37 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
The floppy is designed for a Quadra 950 (it is the install me first of A/UX 3.0 actually) I double checked this by inserting it in a mac classic (the mac did start up and bombed after asking for an FPU).

Now, what I don't understand is that there is no question mark in all of this, the X is displayed as soon as the machine is turned on, even if there is no floppy in the drive... :-(

--M
----------
Hmmm. Well, "the book" says:

During system
startup, disk ejects;
display shows icon
with blinking "X"

1 Replace disk with known-good system disk.
2 Clear parameter RAM. Hold down <Command> <Option> <P>
<R> during startup but before "Welcome To Macintosh"
appears.
3 Replace floppy drive cable.
4 Replace internal floppy drive.
5 Replace logic board. Retain customer's SIMMs.

Ken