That totally worked!!! Thank You!!

omg. I'm so close. Now i just need to work on aligning the image to an edge (or figure out when the image is horizontal or vertical)

One issue I'm seeing is that quartz doesn't seem to honor camera orientation in images like the finder, lightroom, and photoshop do... so basically when I try to put the overlay in the lower left hand corner, it always performs as if the image is horizontal, even when the camera took the image vertically.

hmmmnm