I was impressed that QC was rewritten in 64 bit with AVFoundation support. If
it was to be abandoned I would have expected that to be when. It's incredibly
powerful... I use a video app built in QC (CoGe) that can play 8 simultaneous
HD video streams while keeping 30+ FPS. I don't know other apps that can
achieve that, and I'd put it all down to AVF.

But then there are minor elements without retina support, and the copyright
says 2005 – 2014, so 🤷‍♂️

As far as I know, there is no Patcher-like language for graphics that is open
source, since Pure Data Gem (Graphics Environment for Multimedia) is currently
broken, and the other commercial languages are closed.