On 2016-06-21 06:10, Franz wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 10:32 PM, Andrew David Wong
> <a...@qubes-os.org> wrote:

> Well, it's not that quantum computing presents no problem *at all*
> for secret key/symmetric encryption. Symmetric ciphers are still
> thought to be vulnerable to Grover's algorithm, which basically
> means that key length would effectively be halved (e.g., the
> strength of AES-256 would be effectively halved to that of
> AES-128), but this is obviously much less of a problem than the
> crypto being completely broken (as would be the case for RSA, for
> example).

> That's fair. I think that might qualify as security through
> obscurity (or maybe "security through non-availibility"), but
> that's not to say it doesn't still provide some real degree of
> security.

> Well... I didn't mean to give that impression. IANAC (I am not a
> cryptographer), but when it comes to encryption, I don't think we
> should say that anything is "100% safe." It's not that the
> algorithms are apodictically unbreakable. Rather, we derive our
> confidence in them from the fact that lots of smart people have
> spent lots of time trying to break them, and no one has been
> successful yet (that we know of!). That's why there are
> competitions to select algorithms.
>
> Also, even if the algorithm is secure, any given implementation
> you use might not be. So, even though it's true (as people often
> say) that the crypto itself is usually not the weak point in a
> digital system, I also don't think (and didn't mean to give you the
> impression) that it's "100% safe."
>

>> You are right of course, but I was referring to sending encrypted
>> vault over internet. It is not compulsory to do that. You can
>> certainly live comfortably without doing that. So why should one
>> do that? Only because there is expectation of a reasonable total
>> safety, so that the difference to 100% may be negligible.

I see what you mean.

I think it still depends on your backup situation, though. If your
only means of having offsite backups is to send (encrypted) backups
over the internet (i.e., you can't physically move disks to another
location or have someone else do it for you), then it may not be
entirely true that you can "live comfortably without doing that." (I
would live uncomfortably knowing that a fire could burn down my house
and my backups along with it, since in that scenario I wouldn't have
any offsite backups.)

In other words, data availability counts for something, and I'm
willing balance confidentiality against availability. (In a sense,
this is obviously true. If I cared only about confidentiality and not
at all about availability, I would just destroy all copies of my data
immediately.)

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS