'Stuart Perkins' via qubes-users:
> Ok, now I'm afraid to turn off my computer or even stop any Debian template
> based VM's...

Don't panic, it's just a bug* in qubes-core-dom0-4.0.56. Your VM data
is still okay.

> Here is what happened.
>
> I was going to do a general update on Dom0 and my Debian-10 and
> Fedora-32 templates.
>
> As is my habit, I deleted the older clones of those template VM's
> and was creating new clones with qvm-clone from a Dom0 command
> window.
>
> While attempting to create a new clone of the Debian-10 template, it
> halted with an error:
>
> file pool cannot export dirty volumes.
>
> Searching for that issue suggested I start the template VM and exit
> it cleanly...although I don't have a recollection of a "dirty" exit
> (crash, kill etc...).
>
> I went to start the template with qvm-start and it won't, giving the
> error:
>
> file pool cannot start a VM with an exported volume.
>
> How in the world do I recover from this?

If you restart your computer (or only qubesd), it will drop the
lingering export lock and you'll be able to start the original
template again, etc.

Rusty

*
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-core-admin/commit/0eb95044dd937857581a22c13a692eff5d92c70b#r46447802