Michael Singer:

> I am looking for a really secure way to use Qubes for searching not
> only a hard drive for file names, but for text that is in files.
>
> The goal is to avoid an exploit in the searched files leading to a
> takeover of the hard drive by malware.
>
> The total size of all my files is too large for me to put them all
> in one qube before searching for text in them.
>
> Would it perhaps be possible to mount only a single partition of the
> hard drive into a qube, but not with write permissions, only read
> permissions?

Yes, e.g. like this:

$ qvm-block attach --ro destinationvm sys-usb:sda1

Then you can decrypt and mount the read-only /dev/xvdi in the
destination VM.

> I would do the search on command line, using "grep" for plain text
> files, "pdfgrep" for PDFs, and something for table files, databases,
> etc.
>
> Is my idea feasible? And how secure would it be?

Sounds fine to me. But malicious content could still exploit the
destination VM, so consider attaching to a DisposableVM (after
switching off its networking).

If your partition is LUKS1[1] encrypted, Split dm-crypt[2] might be
convenient. Its default behavior is to attach the decrypted partition
to an offline DisposableVM:

$ qvm-block-split attach --ro sys-usb:sda1

[1] TODO: LUKS2 support
[2] https://github.com/rustybird/qubes-split-dm-crypt

Rusty