Unruh,

The NTP discipline is basically a type-II feedback control system. Your
training should recall exactly how such a loop works and how it responds
to a 50-ms step. Eleven seconds after NTP comes up the mitigation
algorithms present that transient to the loop and what happens
afterwards conforms to the equations of control theory. Discussion about
what happens at any time after that is a matter of mathematics and ntpd
does conform to the mathematics as confirmed by observation and simulation.

If you have problems with the loop time constant, tough. It was chosen
as a compromise for LANs and WANs. You are invited to justify a
different time constant, but it has to work an a bumpy road to Malaysia.

Further discussion on this issue is neither interesting nor helpful and,
frankly, boring.

Dave