"unix2266" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> I'm setting up a new NTP server to sync time for our network.
> I have one Linux server that needs to point to that NTP server
>  My 3 questions are:
>
>  1. I added the IP address for the NTP server to the "/etc/hosts"
> file on the Linux server. Is that all i need to do to make the Linux
> server point to the NTP server?

No. /etc/hosts maps hostnames to IP addresses. It has nothing to do
with NTP per se. Add either the hostname or the IP address to the
configuration file for NTP, usually /etc/ntp.conf (but check).

>  2. After pointing the Linux server to the NTP server, do i need
> to reboot the Linux server or restart any daemon on the Linux server?
> in other words, what do i need to do to make sure the changes i made
> in the "/etc/hosts" took affect?

No need to reboot. Just start or restart the NTP daemon/service.
How to do that varies.

>  3. Is there a way to test the NTP server to make sure it interact
> with the Linux server & will work fine if i have a timing issue on
> the Linux server? I want to test it so if something happens for real
> i don't look like a dummy

Run 'ntpq -p' against it. Specify the hostname of the NTP server as an
additional parameter after the '-p'.

An NTP server should really respond to ntpq. If it doesn't, it _may_ be
working fine but you have no easy way to check. If it does, there will
be lines listing its references; if one has an asterisk in front of it,
it's generally fine.

Assuming, that is, that the reference so marked is itself fine. You
haven't told us where your new NTP server is getting its time from.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink