On 04/15/13 12:48, unruh wrote:
On 2013-04-15, Jacek Igalson <jacek.igalson> wrote:
In fact, I have used offset,
delay is recorded by the way.
It indicates how asymmetric might be the trip.
No. It says nothing about the asymmetry. Just about the delay. Now you
might make the assumption that a longer delay is probably a delay in
only one leg of the path, implying asymmetry (which is what ntpd does in
its clock filter algorithm) and that might often be a reasonable
assumption, expecially if the delay is is say twice as long as usual, it
is often a very bad assumption for slightly longer delays.

That was my first reaction when I read it. But I think that what he is saying is that delay tells you the *maximum* error that can be introduced by asymmetry. If the path were completely symmetric the value of delay would not matter.

--
blu

violent psychopath who knows where you live. - Martin Golding
  • Re: [ntp:quest... E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists
    • Re: [ntp:... Jacek Igalson
      • Re: [... E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists
        • R... David Woolley
          • ... E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists
            • ... David Woolley
          • ... Jacek Igalson
            • ... E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists
              • ... Jacek Igalson
              • ... unruh
              • ... Brian Utterback
              • ... Jacek Igalson
              • ... unruh
              • ... E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists
              • ... E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists
  • Re: [ntp:quest... unruh
  • Re: [ntp:quest... Harlan Stenn