On 2021-06-23, Jim Pennino <j...@gonzo.specsol.net> wrote:
> William Unruh <un...@invalid.ca> wrote:

>>> Correct, no PPS.
>>>
>>> From short term (day or so) testing looking at peerstats data:
>>>
>>> Samples: 3914
>>> Avg offset: -0.00190137
>>> Std dev:    0.00921412
>>
>> The problem is that that does not test the accuracy, just jitter. Ie,
>> the time could be off by a century, but it is repeatable, so ntp says
>> that the offset and standard deviation is small.
>> You need to compare with another time source that is known to be more
>> accurate than yours. Typically nmea signals are delivered late and the
>> length of the signal is long delaying things still more, expecially if
>> you choose an nmea sentence which reports lots of information, not just
>> the time.
>
> I didn't bother with the full story as I wanted to be brief unless
> someone had specific questions.
>
> A bit more detail:
>
> For testing purposes, ntp was configured to use my machine that has a
> real PPS GPS and about a half dozen public servers, most of them stratum 1.

OK, sounds good.

> I also enabled all the statistics files.
>
> Initial, i.e. an hour or so, testing was with standard linux utilities,
> i.e. ntpq, ntpstat, ntptime, for a sanity check and a tweek of the fudge
> value, which came out to 0.027.

That is fast. Hardly enough time to send the nmea sentence. But it must
be working faster than 9600Bd (serial port speeds).

> After several days I ran a pile of sed/awk scripts to look at the
> statistics files and came to the conclusion that the absolute time error
> was always less than about 5 ms and typically around 1 ms, which for $14 I
> condider good enough.
>
> FYI I have tested a several other generic USB GPS pucks and found the
> jitter to be over an order of magnitude greater than this device with
> fudge times in the order of 0.500 and time errors in the several 10s
> of ms.

Yes, that is what I would expect.

>>> ntpq typically shows offset and jitter at about 1 and the satellites in
>>> view are usually 14 or more with the puck in a window sill.
>>
>> And that means that the processor in the gps receiver has to work harder
>> and delays the report of the NMEA even longer. Now of course you may not
>> care -- 100ms may be perfectly acceptable (It is far more accurate than
>> a wrist watch for example) and then my comments are entirely irrelevant.
>> If you want higher accuracy however, then they start to become relevant.
>> Hook it up to the network and use some of the low stratum sources to get
>> the time. That should be accurate probably to better than a ms. That
>> will allow you to calibrate your gps delay and tell ntp to subtract the
>> persistant offset from the gps signal, and improve your accuracy.
>>
>> Again that is only important if you have some reason to care. Again, if
>> accuracy to the nearest second is good enough, ignore this.
>
> See above.
>
> I am assuming that the fudge time of 0.027 versus the typical generic GPS
> puck time of 0.500 means this thing is processing things much faster.
>
> FYI all this is done on a USB 2.0 interface.

Certainly if it used the usb channel at its full speed, that should be
fine. I always thought that gps ran at serial port speeds, but clearly
that is not true.

>>> That is from a linux PC where there are more tools for testing things.
>>>
>>> The reason I bought it is that it is advertised to work with the Windows
>>> native USB driver, which produces a virtual com port, which makes it
>>> usable with Meinberg ntp without any other drivers or software.
>>>
>>> I have yet to do any Windows testing other than to verify it does work,
>>> but I see no reason why Windows would be much different.
>>
>> Probably not. But again, testing it against some good network ntp
>> sources should give you an idea of how well it is doing, if that is
>> important.
>> Of course we all like our stuff to be better than others. My system,
>> using pps from a gps is probably goot to a few microseconds. Do I need a
>> few microsecond accuracy. No. Even ms accuracy would be way more than  I
>> need. But I like seeing how far I can push stuff. My only defence is
>> "its a hobby".
>
> From my analysis of my real PPS GPS system, the absolue time on that
> machine is typically accurate to about a microsecond with a standard
> deviation of about 0.8 us.
>
> The time accuracy I actually need for stuff I do is in the order of
> about 50 ms, but like you, I too like seeing how far I can push stuff,
> especially for $14.

Yes, it certainly is impressive.