On Friday, September 16, 2022 at 6:18:02 PM UTC-5, Harlan Stenn wrote:
> Open a report at bugs.ntp.org (gmail users probably need to be manually
> approved [...]) and it will likely be fixed in the upcoming p16.

Thank you Harlan. And thanks to justdave who helped me get credentialed at
bugs.ntp.org.

The process of opening a report surfaced bug no. 2410, "The ntpd daemon should
never abnormally exit without logging a ERR level message". I believe my
experience does not warrant a separate report because it is a duplicate of
2410. I will add a comment there including a simple proposal for solving this.

Please consider bug 2410 for p16.

Cheers!
Edward
--