Renzo Marengo wrote:
Il giorno venerdì 7 aprile 2023 alle 13:44:59 UTC+2 David Woolley ha
scritto:
On 07/04/2023 10:47, Renzo Marengo wrote:
I know NTP server numbers must be 1, 3 or 4,....
I don't understand this. NTP servers don't have numbers. They do
have a stratum, but that is determined automatically from the
current time distribution tree.

I wanted to say...  the number (quantity) of ntp server. Now I have 3
ntp server(NTP1, NTP2, NTP3), if I had had 2 servers it should be
always a good idea ? I remembered there was a reason to have a
similar quantity (that is 3)

Server A has stratum 2 Server NTP1, NTP2, NTP3 has stratum 3

What do you think if I destroyed the Server A and I converted the
NTP1, NTP2, NTP3 to stratum 2 ? I would link these 3 server to the to
same time source of server A.

Your clients should all have at least 4 sources, so if you don't want them to talk to the outside world, that means having at least that many internal servers for them to reference.

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>
This is questions@lists.ntp.org