Many thanks for guiding me there, Florian, I've never been in a mailing list
before. I apologize in advance if I make any more blunder. About your reply:

Florian wrote:
>The pictures are served from www.gravatar.com<http://www.gravatar.com>, but
>you're only blocking
>gravatar.com. Those are two different hosts.

Indeed, after prepending "www." to the address, it worked. However, I'm afraid
that means that lists from Disconnect (to be found in
<https://github.com/disconnectme/disconnect-tracking-protection>) cannot be
reliably used, because they usually do not include subdomains. A more sensitive
example is <lh3.googleusercontent.com>, that does not get blocked, although
<googleusercontent.com> figures in the list. Is there any way to make
Qutebrowser parse the list and block a match even if "lower" subdomains differ?