I am wanting to generate panels showing scatterplots with the linear
fitted line for two groups within each panel superimposed.

I have two conditioning factors, "variable" and "Group" and I want
separate panels for each level of "variable"

with different symbols and "lmline"s for each level of "Group". However
all observations for a group are missing for some variables so I would
still like the points and lmline for the observed group plotted for that
variable(panel).

My attempt is

print(xyplot(total.fat~x|variable,data=tmp1,subscripts=TRUE,

             scales=list(x=list(relation="free")),xlab="",groups=Group,

             panel=function(x,y,subscripts,...){

               panel.superpose(x,y,subscripts,...)

               if(length(x[subscripts])!=0)

{panel.superpose(x,y,panel.groups="panel.lmline",subscripts,...)}}))

Which gives an error

Error in lm.fit(x, y, offset = offset, singular.ok = singular.ok, ...) :

            0 (non-NA) cases

Which occurs when the first panel with all values for one group are
missing.

The same error is returned if I replace the last line without the "if"
statement which obviously means it's ignored.

Of course I may be taking the wrong tack completely to get the result I
need. Any advice would be appreciated

Ross Darnell