Hi,
I'm running the actual R version in JGR (version 1.5-8 ).
Sys.getlocale(category = "LC_ALL") yields
        [1]
"LC_COLLATE=German_Germany.1252;LC_CTYPE=German_Germany.1252;LC_MONETARY=German_Germany.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=German_Germany.1252"

I want to write some HTML-Code enhanced by statistical results and labels
encoded in Latin-1, which I pass to a function. Some label shall generate the
filename. Although the labels are correctly handled in JGR they are somehow
converted when they are written to the file. Also the filename is not
constructed as wanted. The function definition is correctly sourced into R. The
function is defined like this:

Itemtabelle.head <- function (abt ){
   # nür zöm TÄST
   abt = iconv(abt,"UTF-8","LATIN1")
   zz = file( paste("Itemtabelle/Itemtabelle", abt, ".html"), "wt", encoding =
"LATIN1")
   cat(as.character("<html xmlns:o=\"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office\"
xmlns:x=\"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:excel\"
xmlns=\"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40\";>  \n"),
       as.character("   <head>

              \n"),
                .
                .
                .
       as.character("        <td colspan=5 class=xl28 width=727
style=\'width:545pt\'>Gesundheitsindikatoren:  "), abt, as.character("</td>
                              \n"),
       as.character("       </tr>

                "), file = zz)
       close(zz)
       unlink(zz)
}
Setting abt as " Ärzte Innere, Gynäkologie" and calling the function with this
argument, yields a filename "Itemtabelle  Ärzte Innere, Gynäkologie .html"
and in the file a line
style='width:545pt'>Gesundheitsindikatoren:    Ärzte Innere, Gynäkologie
is generated.                                 .
The problem remains the same in the rgui and rterm - except in rterm the
resulting filename is "Itemtabelle Žrzte Innere, Gyn„kologie  .html".

Cheers,
Matthias