Hi Ralph,

In case of hclust, the dendrogram does show the "steps" (they are the
heights presented in the graph).
You can present them also in a matrix using "cutree", for example:

dat <- (USArrests)
n <- (dim(dat)[1])
hc <- hclust(dist(USArrests))
cutree(hc, k=1:n)

You might then visualize the results using a clustergram (I wrote about it
recently here:
http://www.r-statistics.com/2010/06/clustergram-visualization-and-diagnostics-for-cluster-analysis-r-code/
)
It would take a bit of R coding, but it's suppose to be relatively easy.

Regarding the case of kmeans, you could try the "kmeans.ani" function from
the {animation} package.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Tal