From: Atte Tenkanen [mailto:atte...@utu.fi]
Sent: Friday, June 25, 2010 10:08 PM
To: Atte Tenkanen
Subject: Re: [R] Wilcoxon signed rank test and its requirements

Atte Tenkanen kirjoitti 26.6.2010 kello 5.15:

Greg Snow kirjoitti 25.6.2010 kello 21.55:

Let me see if I understand.  You actually have the data for the whole
population (the entire piece) but you have some pre-defined sections that you
want to see if they differ from the population, or more meaningfully they are
different from a randomly selected set of measures.  Is that correct?

If so, since you have the entire population of interest you can create the
actual sampling distribution (or a good approximation of it).  Just take random
samples from the population of the given size (matching the subset you are
interested in) and calculate the means (or other value of interest), probably
10,000 to 1,000,000 samples.  Now compare the value from your predefined subset
to the set of random values you generated to see if it is in the tail or not.

I check, so you mean doing it this way:

t.test(sample(POPUL, length(SAMPLE), replace = FALSE), mu=mean(SAMPLE), alt =
"less")

NO, this way:

t.test(POPUL[sample(1:length(POPUL), length(SAMPLE), replace = FALSE)],
mu=mean(SAMPLE), alt = "less")

Atte

Atte

--