On Jul 28, 2010, at 7:28 AM, Dimitris Rizopoulos wrote:

a couple of the many possible ways are:

x <- c(23,36,45,62,79,103,109)
thr <- 67

x[x > thr][1]
head(x[x > thr], 1)

Since he wanted the subscript rather than the number wouldn't it be:

which(x > 67)[1]
head( which(x > 67), 1)
-- David.

I hope it helps.

Best,
Dimitris

On 7/28/2010 12:12 PM, Raghu wrote:
Hi

I have a sorted array ( in ascending order) and I want to find the subscript of a number in the array which is the the next highest number to a given number. For example,if I have 67 as a given number and if I have a vector x=c(23,36,45,62,79,103,109), then how do I get the subscript 5 from x (to
get 79 which is the next highest to 67) without using a for loop?

Thx

--
Dimitris Rizopoulos
Assistant Professor

Address: PO Box 2040, 3000 CA Rotterdam, the Netherlands
Tel: +31/(0)10/7043478
Fax: +31/(0)10/7043014

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT