Hi,

table() is behaving as documented with respect to your example. local.labels
is a *character* vector with two distinct values and local.preds is a
*character* variable with one distinct value. If you were expecting your
table to divine that you wanted to include 'ah~' as a missing value in your
local.preds object, it's not going to happen under your current setup.

> local.labels <- c("ah", "ah", "ah~")
> local.preds <- c("ah", "ah", "ah")
> table(local.labels, local.preds)
            local.preds
local.labels ah
         ah   2
         ah~  1
> class(local.labels)
[1] "character"
> class(local.preds)
[1] "character"

Is this what you had in mind?

labels <- factor(local.labels)
preds <- factor(local.preds, levels = c('ah', 'ah~'))
> table(labels, preds)
      preds
labels ah ah~
   ah   2   0
   ah~  1   0

> labels
[1] ah  ah  ah~
Levels: ah ah~
> preds
[1] ah ah ah
Levels: ah ah~

There is a distinction in R between character objects and factor objects.
More generally, many [generic] functions behave differently depending on the
type of object(s) supplied as input.

HTH,
Dennis