On Aug 9, 2010, at 9:52 AM, peter dalgaard wrote:

On Aug 9, 2010, at 3:03 PM, Alain Guillet wrote:

Hi,

Look at the output of the test made in R and you can see it is a Wilcoxon rank sum test and not a Wilcoxon signed rank test.

It might be helpful to add that paired=TRUE is needed in the call to get the signed-rank test.

If there are ties, I know I prefer wilcox.exact from the exactRankTests.

(Not that much of an issue in larger sample sizes, I'd say. Even with binary data, the normal approximation works reasonably well under the usual assumptions of expected counts > 5, since the tie- adjustment for the variance is exact for the distribution of the ranks. The continuity correction doesn't quite work though. Anyways, wilcox.exact is of course a nice thing to have.)

The OP's data:

> table(xvals=dat$x, yvals=dat$y)
      yvals
xvals   0 0.25 0.5  1 1.1 1.5  2  3 3.5  5 5.5  6  8
  0    35    0   0  1   0   1  2  1   0  0   0  0  0
  0.5   2    1   1  0   0   0  0  0   0  0   0  0  0
  0.75  0    0   1  0   0   0  0  0   0  0   0  0  0
  1     7    0   1  3   0   0  1  0   1  0   0  0  0
  1.1   0    0   0  0   1   0  0  0   0  0   0  0  0
  1.5   1    1   0  4   0   2  0  0   0  0   0  0  0
  2     3    0   0  6   0   2  4  2   1  0   0  0  0
  2.1   0    0   1  0   0   0  0  0   0  0   0  0  0
  2.5   0    0   0  0   0   1  0  0   0  2   0  0  0
  3     2    0   0  0   0   0  5  3   1  1   0  0  0
  3.3   1    0   0  0   0   0  0  0   0  0   0  0  0
  3.33  0    0   0  1   0   0  0  0   0  0   0  0  0
  3.5   0    0   0  1   0   1  0  0   0  1   1  0  0
  5     0    0   0  0   0   0  0  0   0  2   0  1  1
  10    0    0   0  0   0   0  0  0   0  1   0  0  0

Adding paired=TRUE to the wilcox.test call give the signed rank test although tht is not likely to satisfy the OP since she seems to be expecting a higher degree of congruence with Stata.

The wilcox.test and wilcox.exact give results that only differ at the 4th decimal place.

> wilcox.test(dat$x, dat$y, paired=TRUE)

        Wilcoxon signed rank test with continuity correction

data:  dat$x and dat$y
V = 1181, p-value = 0.08872
alternative hypothesis: true location shift is not equal to 0

> wilcox.exact(dat$x, dat$y, paired=TRUE)

        Asymptotic Wilcoxon signed rank test

data:  dat$x and dat$y
V = 1181, p-value = 0.08805
alternative hypothesis: true mu is not equal to 0

The Stata output indicates some sort of adjustment for zeros. The wilcox.test basically throws out the zeros (presumably the zero differences), so there may be a difference in the algorithm. Her data has 51 zero differences and 61 non-zero differences.

> sum(dat$x==dat$y)
[1] 51
> sum(dat$x!=dat$y)
[1] 61

Wait a minute; the Stata report said she had 49 zeros and only 108 records.

Different data. Different results. I suppose it could be my editing errors. Taking out all the extraneous html junk and restoring missing delimiters was kind of a pain.

Capasia; Don't use Google sheets to transmit data. Instead use dput on the datablatt object and just post the results of that output.

--
David.

Alain