If it were just one loop by itself and I was doing the calculation for just
one month for all of my 317 stations, I would agree with.  However, this
function itself is inside another loop which goes through each month and
year that I need the calculation for each of the stations.

If you have any suggestions for how I could speed up the loop that is
welcome, but I would like to try to remove it given that it is nested inside
another loop.