Hi all,

I figured out why this was happening. It is because my actual code was:

lmer(Y~X + (1|as.factor(labs)),data=DATA)

In this case, the as.factor function looks for object 'labs' not object
'DATA$labs.'

Scope is something you hear about don't worry about until it bites you on
your ass I guess.

JJ

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 5:52 PM, David Winsemius <dwinsem...@comcast.net>wrote:

> On Aug 18, 2010, at 6:45 PM, Peter Ehlers wrote:
>
>  On 2010-08-18 11:49, Johan Jackson wrote:
>>
>>> No, apologies (good catch David!), I merely copied the script
>>> incorrectly.
>>> It was
>>>
>>> lmer(Y~X + (1|labs),data=DATA)
>>>
>>> in my original script. So my question still stands: is it expected
>>> behavior
>>> for lmer to access the object 'labs' rather than the object 'DATA$labs'