Dear R,

I have two small questions confused me recently. Now assume I have a matrix
"a", like this,

> a <- matrix(1:6, 2, 3)
     [,1] [,2] [,3]
[1,]    1    3    5
[2,]    2    4    6

I sometimes need each row of "a" raised to a different exponent. So I do a
trick like this,

> a^c(2, 3)
     [,1] [,2] [,3]
[1,]    1    9   25
[2,]    8   64  216

My first question is that if it is possible to do this trick column wise?
Just out of curiosity, of course I know there are other ways of doing this.

And the second question is why I get such result when I put another element
in the exponent part like this,

> a^c(2, 3, 4)
[1,]    1   81  125
[2,]    8   16 1296

BTW, I have a 64bit R version (2.11) for Linux. Any advice would be
appreciated.

Feng

--
Feng Li