Siterer "Yihui Xie" <x...@yihui.name>:

lists are easier to post messages, but I really believe they have too
many disadvantages, e.g. (relatively) difficult to search, dull
interface, HTML not welcome (I don't like HTML in emails, though), no
lively images, no code highlighting, attachments often get chopped
off, no RSS to subscribe, admins are still fighting with spams somehow
manually (?), and imagine how painful it is for us to read the
"threaded" web archives...

Yeah, the lively images are a great help. And [using Firefox] I have such a big search problem.

Seriously, remembering the good ol' days of UNIX and VMS where mailing lists were the only option, I shy away from web forums cos they tend to be flashy (Powerpoint on acid) and MORE difficult to search than my mailbox. I'm also a pretty lazy person, so I enjoy getting mails into my mailbox without having to think too hard, or open web browsers unnecessarily.

Not that I have a lot to contribute to the list, but I have learned a great deal and see this list as one of the most important resources that exists (thanks to all list members who teach me new stuff every single day!!!)

Just my $0.02.

Siri.