Hi all

A couple of questions about string processing from someone who has only
scratched the surface so far.

1) I am wanting to send some strings into a function to allow flexibility
inside.  My first idea has been e.g.

auto_io <- function( var_string, factors ) {
#  e.g. var_string sent as "test_file.txt"  factors sent as "x1 + x2 + x3"

# input
        data_name                               <- get( var_string )

#       term_list                               <- get( factors )

        resp_data                               <- read.table( data_name,
header = TRUE )

# fit
        temp_model                      <-  lm( y ~ factors, data = resp_data )

        etc...

Neither the read.table() nor the lm() are working because in each case the
string is not converted or understood properly.  I'm sure this is possible (and
in fact probably easy) but haven't yet seen the light.  Could someone
illuminate me here?

2) I will be wanting to process strings as lists of strings.  For instance, I
might instead want to send factors above as "x1  x2  x3" and add the "+" when I
need them, or perhaps "*" instead, and also look at sub-models by removing
parts of the string etc.  What functions should I be looking at here and are
there any examples available?

Thanks in advance.  Feel free to CC me on your reply.

Michael Hopkins
Algorithm and Statistical Modelling Expert

Upstream
23 Old Bond Street
London
W1S 4PZ

Mob +44 0782 578 7220
DL   +44 0207 290 1326
Fax  +44 0207 290 1321

hopk...@upstreamsystems.com
www.upstreamsystems.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE
The information in this e-mail and any attached files is...{{dropped:22}}