Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. One person indicated that this
question treads on "dangerous terrain." I had that sense too but really wanted
to know how many packages might not be "free" in the sense that they could be
used at no cost by everyone. I was a little disappointed to learn that there
are packages that are free for some people but not for others. But I understand
that it's not me who has put time and effort into developing the base software
or the various add-on packages. And so clearly it's up to others who have put
in the time and effort to make those decisions.

Paul