Hi Everyone,

I am new R user and am trying to learn by reading the online manual "An
Introduction to R" from the R web site. I am trying to practice using the
scan() function as explained in the manual. For this I first created three
vectors (one a character vector and two numeric one) and saved file
"input.dat" in my working directory as:

> label <- c("Bill", "Tom", "Pat", "Will", "Sue", "Sam")
> x <- 1:6
> y <- 6:1
> save(label, x, y, file = "input.dat")

Now, when I try the scan() function as explained in the manual as below, I
get the error message:

> inp <- scan("input.dat", list("",0,0))
Error in scan(file, what, nmax, sep, dec, quote, skip, nlines, na.strings,
:
  scan() expected 'a real', got 'X'

I have not been able to figure out what the problem is. I would appreciate
if someone could please guide me as to what I am doing wrong. Regards,

Tariq