2.) The second problem you describe (negative prediction for a positive outcome) has nothing to do with boosting or mboost. This results from the fact that you estimate a model for a positive outcome but the prediction might be ANY number. You can avoid this by, for example, considering log-transformed outcomes and / or using another family (depending on the type of your outcome). Please consult literatur on generalized linear models (GLMs) for further help.

Hope that helps
  Benjamin

On 20.10.2010 12:00, r-help-requ...@r-project.org wrote:
Message: 129
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 11:08:44 +0200
From: H?ring, Tim (LWF)<tim.haer...@lwf.bayern.de>
To:<r-help@r-project.org>
Subject: [R] problem with predict(mboost,...)

Hi,

I use a mboost model to predict my dependent variable on new data. I get the
following warning message:
In bs(mf[[i]], knots = args$knots[[i]]$knots, degree = args$degree,  :
    some 'x' values beyond boundary knots may cause ill-conditioned bases

The new predicted values are partly negative although the variable in the
training data ranges from 3 to 8 on a numeric scale. In order to restrict the
predicted values to the value range from 3 to 8 I limit the feature space of
the prediction data on the minima and maxima of the training data for every
predictor variable before applying the model on the new data.
As baselearner in mboost I use splines ("bbs"):

mod<- mboost(MF ~ bbs(predictor1) + bbs(predictor2) + bbs(...), data = train)

I wonder why there are negative values when applying the model on new data,
because both, training and prediction data have the same value ranges in the
predictor variables.

Did somebody get the same warning message? Can someone help me please?

TIM

Tim H?ring
Bavarian State Institute of Forestry
Department of Forest Ecology
Hans-Carl-von-Carlowitz-Platz 1
D-85354 Freising

E-Mail:tim.haer...@lwf.bayern.de
http://www.lwf.bayern.de

Dipl.-Stat. Benjamin Hofner

Institut für Medizininformatik, Biometrie und Epidemiologie
Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg
Waldstr. 6 - 91054 Erlangen - Germany

Tel: +49-9131-85-22707
Fax: +49-9131-85-25740

Office:
  Room 3.036
  Universitätsstraße 22
  (Entrance at the left side of the building)

benjamin.hof...@imbe.med.uni-erlangen.de

http://www.imbe.med.uni-erlangen.de/~hofnerb/
http://www.benjaminhofner.de