Thanks Jorge. That is very helpful. Hadnt seen 'which' yet.

So it is a matter of combining functions if I wanted both the value and the
month?

From: jorgeivanve...@gmail.com
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 12:33:12 -0400
Subject: Re: [R] Using names function
To: ksudha...@live.com
CC: r-help@r-project.org

Hi Sudhakar,
Take a look at ?which.max

msales <- c(2700, 2600, 3050) names(msales) <- c("Jan", "Feb", "Mar")

names(which.max(diff(msales)))# [1] "Mar"

HTH,Jorge

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 12:27 PM, Sudhakar Kumar <> wrote:

Just starting on my journey to learn R and the book I am using is "Using R for
Introductory Statistics"

One of the problems (page 15, 1.10) goes as follows:

The monthly sales fig for 2002 were (2700, 2600, 3050, . . ). Using diff() find
the month with greatest increase from prev month.

I created a msales var:

msales = c(2700, 2600, 3050 . . )

I named them:

names(msales)=c("Jan", Feb", "Mar" . . .)

to find the month with greatest increase from prev month:

max(diff(msales))

I get the numeric value displayed when I execute the above function, but not
the month. cumsum(msales) displays the results under each month, but not max.
How can I get both the month and value displayed?

Thanks

-Sudhakar

ps: no, I am not a student seeking answers to exercises :)