On Oct 30, 2010, at 11:33 AM, Brian Willis wrote:

HI,

I am using lmer() for a simple mixed effects model. The model is of the form logit(y)~ x + (1|z), where x is an indicator variable and z a multi- level
factor.

I would like an estimate of the response variable (either y or logit y)

There is a fitted method for objects of class "mer".

?"mer-class"

.... with an associated confidence interval for a given value of x.

That is the sticking point as I understand it. See below.

There does not appear to be a predict function written for lmer().

The output for the fixed effects gives a standard error for the intercept, the coefficient of x and the correlation. For n observations, I transform the std errors to variances, and with the correlation, I think I can use the formula Var(intercept + x) = Var(intercept) + Var(x) + 2Cov(x,intercept) to get the variance of the fixed effects component of the response variable.

However, I would like to include the random effects component of the
variance, so I may derive a standard error and confidence interval for the
variance.

Does anyone know how to do this? Is there a ready made function like
predict() or does anyone know how to incorporate the variance of random
effects term to derive the std error of the response variable?

I see Ben Bolker has offered a suggestion that you search the mixed models list.

An earlier question on this topic elicited this citation (from Bolker):

http://glmm.wikidot.com/faq

One of the available choices in Baron's search page is R-sig-mixed- models and here are a few links to threads (by people who know more than me) that may offer at least informed commentary and options if not a general solution (from both R-help and the SIG-ME archives):

http://search.r-project.org/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=+confidence+intervals+lmer&max=100&result=normal&sort=score&idxname=functions&idxname=Rhelp08&idxname=Rhelp10&idxname=R-sig-mixed-models&idxname=Rhelp02

http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/Rhelp10/2008-May/161516.html

http://rwiki.sciviews.org/doku.php?id=guides:lmer-tests

http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02/archive/76742.html

http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02/archive/81237.html