On 11/11/2010 3:42 PM, sachinthaka.abeyward...@allianz.com.au wrote:

Hi All,

I've reproduced the example from Prof. Friedrich Leisch's webpage. When I
write sweave("Example-1.Snw") OR sweave("Example-1.Rnw"), (yes, I renamed
them). I get the following error:

Writing to file example-1.tex
Processing code chunks ...
  1 : echo term verbatim

Error:  chunk 1
Error in library(ctest) : there is no package called 'ctest'

That error message indicates that you attempted to load a package ('ctest') that is not installed. Normally, you would just need to install the package using the install.package() command. However, there is (no longer) a ctest package to install. Digging through the email archives, it appears to have been merged into the stats package back in version 1.9.0. So you can just delete the "library(ctest)" line in the Rnw file.

You can search for examples that are more recent; this one must have been from before April 2004 (when R 1.9.0 was released). Though I don't blame you for being confused; I would also have expected the examples on what seems to be the canonical homepage to work and not be out-of-date.

Also while I'm at it, is there an R command to compile the tex file as a
pdf or does the Sweave() function do that for me?

Check out the texi2dvi() function in the tools package. If you want a PDF, be sure to use the pdf option.

Thanks,
Sachin
p.s. sorry about the corporate notice.

example-1.Rnw: from http://www.statistik.lmu.de/~leisch/Sweave/

\documentclass[a4paper]{article}

\title{Sweave Example 1}
\author{Friedrich Leisch}

\begin{document}

\maketitle

In this example we embed parts of the examples from the
\texttt{kruskal.test} help page into a \LaTeX{} document:

<<>>=
data(airquality)
library(ctest)
kruskal.test(Ozone ~ Month, data = airquality)
@
which shows that the location parameter of the Ozone
distribution varies significantly from month to month. Finally we
include a boxplot of the data:

\begin{center}
<<fig=TRUE,echo=FALSE>>=
boxplot(Ozone ~ Month, data = airquality)
@
\end{center}

\end{document}

--
Brian S. Diggs, PhD
Senior Research Associate, Department of Surgery