Hi

I'm trying to sum functions of lists with different lengths. Here is a
simplified example of the problem:

r=list(1:3,1:5,1:2)

[[1]]
[1] 1 2 3
[[2]]
[1] 1 2 3 4 5
[[3]]
[1] 1 2

x=function(i,j) sum(j*r[[i]])                                # x is a function
of two parameters: i & j

y=function(j)                                                     # y is the
sum of x over i
+ {
+ s=seq(from=1,to=3,by=1)
+ sum(x(s,j))
+ }

y(1)
Error in r[[i]] : recursive indexing failed at level 2

The error is clearly due to the lists; I actually tried this code with
functions of vectors and scalars and it worked perfectly.
I tried to use means of summing lists by recursion but it does not work with
functions of lists, for e.g.:

y=function(j) x(1,j)
for(i in 2:3)
+ {
+ y=function(j) y(j)+x(i,j)
+ }

y(1)
Error: evaluation nested too deeply: infinite recursion / options(expressions=)?

Is there a way to perform this summation?

Thanks!

H.