We don't have any of the information asked for in the posting guide, such as your version of R, reproducible example ....

But please try R-patched, since this might be

    • download.file() could leave the destination file open if the URL
      was not able to be opened.  (PR#14414)

(If you had followed the posting guide you would have tried R-patched before posting ....)